Friday, August 21, 2026
spot_img
HomenewsGRIDCO pinpoints Akosombo-Volta line fault as cause of Thursday’s nationwide blackout; partial...

GRIDCO pinpoints Akosombo-Volta line fault as cause of Thursday’s nationwide blackout; partial restoration underway

The Ghana Grid Company Limited (GRIDCo) has officially identified a major fault on the critical Akosombo–Volta transmission line as the trigger for the widespread power outage that plunged several regions into darkness in the early hours of Thursday, August 20, marking the second such disruption in less than a month.

In a statement issued at 7:00 AM, GRIDCo said the fault occurred at approximately 4:30 AM on the high-voltage line connecting the Akosombo Hydroelectric Dam to the Volta substation—a key artery that feeds power from the country’s largest generation source into the national grid. The fault automatically triggered the shutdown of all Akosombo generating units, along with some thermal plants, as part of the system’s built-in protection mechanisms designed to prevent cascading failures and preserve the integrity of the National Interconnected Transmission System.

The immediate consequence was a massive loss of supply across Greater Accra, Eastern, Central, and Ashanti regions, affecting millions of residents, businesses, and critical infrastructure. Commuters faced chaotic morning traffic as traffic lights failed, hospitals activated backup generators, and perishable goods began to spoil in idle refrigerators.

Restoration Underway, Full Recovery Expected

GRIDCo’s engineers, working in collaboration with the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) and the Volta River Authority (VRA), moved swiftly to isolate the faulty line and initiate a systematic restoration protocol. By 6:30 AM, power had been partially restored to several neighbourhoods in Accra, including Adabraka, Tesano, and Dzorwulu, while other areas such as Madina, Adenta, and Oyarifa remained offline as of press time.

“All relevant technical teams have been mobilised, and we are working to achieve full restoration as quickly and safely as possible,” GRIDCo said in its statement. The company apologised for the inconvenience and appealed for patience, promising further updates as diagnostics continue.

A Recurring Concern

Thursday’s outage comes barely three weeks after a similar widespread interruption on July 29, which was also attributed to grid disturbances. The recurrence has reignited public anxiety over the stability of Ghana’s power transmission infrastructure, with social media users questioning the resilience of the network. The Akosombo–Volta line, originally built in the 1960s and upgraded in phases, is one of the oldest and most heavily loaded corridors in the national grid, often operating at or near capacity during peak demand.

Energy analysts note that the line’s vulnerability is compounded by the concentration of generation at Akosombo—which accounts for nearly 40% of installed capacity—and the lack of redundant high-voltage alternatives. While GRIDCo has undertaken several reinforcement projects, including the Kumasi–Bolgatanga and Tema–Akatsi lines, the backbone remains reliant on a few ageing corridors. “A single fault on that line can knock out a quarter of the nation’s power instantly,” said Dr. Emmanuel Kweku, a power systems engineer at the University of Ghana. “This incident should prompt a serious review of both the maintenance schedule and the contingency planning for such events.”

Protection Systems Worked, but Questions Persist

GRIDCo emphasised that the automatic tripping was a sign that the protection systems functioned correctly, preventing what could have been a more catastrophic equipment failure. However, critics point out that while the response may have been technically sound, the frequency of such outages signals a deeper malaise. The July 29 outage was traced to a separate fault on a transmission line near Tema, raising questions about overall asset management and investment in grid modernisation.

The Ministry of Energy has not yet issued a formal response, but sources indicate that a high-level meeting is scheduled for later Thursday to review the incident and discuss expedited repair works. Meanwhile, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry has called for an independent audit of the transmission network, warning that persistent outages undermine investor confidence and disrupt production schedules.

What Next?

As restoration efforts continue, GRIDCo has assured that the faulty segment will be repaired or bypassed to allow full load recovery by midday. However, the long-term solution lies in accelerating the government’s “Grid Expansion and Strengthening” programme, which includes the construction of a new 330kV line from Akosombo to the Western Region to provide alternate routing. That project, funded partly by the World Bank, is still in the procurement phase and not expected to be operational until 2028.

For now, Ghanaians are left waiting—and hoping—that the lights stay on. GRIDCo’s next update is expected at 10:00 AM, but as one frustrated resident in Weija put it: “We are tired of hearing about faults and apologies. We just want to know when we can cook breakfast without a generator.”

Try our mobile app

Never miss an update. Read anytime, anywhere with our mobile app.

ios
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_img

Most Popular